Monday, September 1, 2008

High Noon at Rocking Chair Ranch

Recently, I completed this painting that was started during a September 2007 BBQ at Pa Ben's famous campsite. I was just learning to be the anti-social, plein air painter that I have become: "Excuse me while I paint......You don't mind if I paint, do you?" But, if you stop for a moment and consider that if it was not for the dedication of the the historical plein air painters - Bierstadt, Church, and Hill, etc., we would be without exquisite canvases that captured very specific places in very specific times. Who is recording us now? The digital camera?
Ok, ok, ok...enough said.
This lone oak offered welcomed shade to numerous cattle in this immense pasture with the distant Santa Anna Mountain conveniently serving as a scenic backdrop.
This painting received an Honorable Mention in the 2008 Fiesta de la Paloma - Art Show. It is now installed in a private collection.

No comments: